- Observe polar bears in their natural habitat as they roam the islands and shorelines, prowling for seals
- Watch bowhead whales as they migrate north in Kingniat Fiord
- Walrus viewing under the Midnight Sun
- Kayak with a chance to see and hear beluga and bowhead whales in Cumberland Sound
- Hike Auyuittuq National Park and visit Pangnirtung Fiord, the southern entrance to Akshayuk Pass and gateway to Mt. Asgard and Thor Peak
- Visit Kekerten Territorial Park
- Delve into Inuit culture in Pangnirtung, a community renowned for traditional Inuit arts and crafts
Discover the iconic Arctic wildlife and landscapes of Cumberland Sound by land and boat.
Take in the awe-inspiring, pristine landscapes from the moment you step off the plane in Pangnirtung, Nunavut. Seldom visited, Cumberland Sound is one of the richest and most captivating belugas and bowhead whale polar environments, bursting with diverse wildlife, dramatic mountains and fiords. Exploring the Arctic by boat and land, enjoy boundless adventure and incredible wonders to see at every angle. Experience the best of the Arctic’s summer season, surrounded by natural, untouched beauty at your remote Arctic safari camp.
See polar bears, view walrus, observe and hear beluga and bowhead whales amongst spectacular, pristine landscapes under the Midnight Sun. Our Arctic whale tours allow you to explore by boat, the spectacular fiords of Cumberland Sound and visit Kekerten Territorial Park. Try kayaking the Arctic for chances to encounter large pods of beluga whales, and explore Kingniat Fiord in search of bowhead Whales.
Visit Pangnirtung Fiord, the southern entrance to Akshayuk Pass, the gateway to Mt. Asgard and Thor Peak, and enjoy a hike into Auyuittuq National Park. Whether sitting quietly waiting for a passing bowhead whale, or a shore lunch watching walrus, have your camera ready to capture the stunning images all day long on our Arctic whale watching tour. We know you’ll love Cumberland Sound!Download Trip Planner Request A Quote
CAD $8,995 +tax
*per person, based on double occupancy
7 Days / 6 nights
July 26 – August 1, 2019
August 2 – August 8, 2019
August 9 – August 15, 2019
Flights from Ottawa to Pangnirtung available
Small local boats
6°C to 12°C (43°F to 54°F)
20 - 24 hours
This family-friendly expedition provides opportunities to spot iconic Arctic wildlife including polar bears, walrus, see and hear beluga whale sounds, and bowhead whales. Enjoy boundless opportunities for adventure among spectacular landscapes in the height of Arctic summer in Cumberland Sound.
This safari begins in Pangnirtung, Nunavut. Depart Ottawa for Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut, and connect to your flight to Pangnirtung. Step off the plane and take in awe-inspiring mountain ranges and rolling tundra. Participate in an orientation from Parks Canada before transferring to camp.
Spend these days observing and capturing stunning photographs of Arctic wildlife including bowhead whales, beluga, seals, polar bears and walrus in Cumberland Sound. Enjoy daily boat rides and take in the awe-inspiring scenery of Auyuittuq National Park, Kekerten Territorial Park, and other stunning destinations in the area.
Explore Kingniat Fiord in search of bowhead whales. Visit Pangnirtung Fiord, the southern entrance to Akshayuk Pass and gateway to Mt. Asgard and Thor Peak. Excursion destinations and activities will vary depending on conditions.
Transfer to Pangnirtung and settle in to the hotel. This artistic community is famous for the quality of its woven tapestries and lithographic prints. Take in local Inuit culture on a community tour on your final night.
Tented Safari Camp on land
While they may appear like a tented camp from the outside, our Tented Safari Camp continues to surprise and delight our guests with its roomy and warm interior. Inspired by African safaris, our large and spacious sleep tents are warm, and tall enough to stand with ample space for all your cameras and luggage.
- 2 m (6’9”) tall with an interior of 8 m2 (90 sq feet).
- All sleep tents have two beds
- Central dining/lounge area to dine and relax in
- Shared washroom with hot water sinks and showers. Note: these are eco-style, as you will be located in the wilderness.
- Meals: 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches and snacks, 6 dinners
- 5 nights in Tented Safari Camp on land
- 1 night in hotel
- Services of Arctic Kingdom Expedition Leaders and Inuit guides in Cumberland Sound
- All day trips by land or boat
- Return transfers in Pangnirtung
- Round-trip flight to Pangnirtung from Ottawa (Ask about our special rates!)
- Accommodation in Ottawa
- Tips, gratuities, personal expenses
- Travel, medical and evacuation insurance
- Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Pangnirtung, Iqaluit or Ottawa
- Polar Clothing Rental Package