- Explore Nunavut’s capital city, Iqaluit, and enjoy the cultural and historical attractions.
- Travel by snowmobile and qamutik over the sea ice
- Experience the floe edge
- Possibly view wildlife including migratory birds and polar bears
Discover why the floe edge is known as “the line of life” on this exciting Arctic getaway.
The floe edge is where the land meets the open water, signaling the arrival of spring. A variety of wildlife congregate here to travel through openings in the ice, providing the possibility for unique wildlife viewing.
Travel with seasoned Inuit guides from Iqaluit by snowmobile and qamutiks (traditional Inuit sled) over the sea ice to reach the floe edge. Spend the day taking in stunning panoramic scenes, enjoying a picnic lunch and possibly kayaking in the tranquil waters; a perfect way to sample this fascinating region!Download Trip Planner Talk to a Travel Advisor
CAD $2,249 (+ $178.63 tax)
3 days / 2 nights
- April 28 - 30, 2017
Travel from Ottawa to Iqaluit, and check into your hotel.
Enjoy a town tour of Iqaluit, including visits to major attractions, the Visitor’s Center, museum, and the legislature from where Canada’s newest territory is governed.
Your floe edge adventure starts in the morning.
Gear up and board the snowmobiles and qamutiks for the 2-3 hour journey to the floe edge. Admire striking ice formations along the coast on the way.
At the floe edge, keep an eye out for migratory birds and possible polar bear sightings. Enjoy kayaking, if conditions permit, before heading back to Iqaluit.
- Round-trip flights from Ottawa, ON to Iqaluit, NU
- Accommodation: 2 nights in Iqaluit hotel
- Return transfers in Iqaluit
- Town tour with museum visit
- Full-day excursion to the floe edge
- Meals: 1 lunch
- Designated town guide and local Inuit guides
- Meals, unless otherwise noted
- Tips, gratuities, personal expenses
- Travel, medical and evacuation insurance
- Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Iqaluit or Ottawa