Nestled between the majestic mountains of north Baffin Island and Bylot Island – Sirmilik National Park, experience abundant wildlife that congregates along the ice floe edge that only a few have seen. The spring floe edge is a fascinating eco-system where wildlife thrives. During this time in spring, wildlife gathers at the floe-edge and there exists the chance to see pods of narwhal resting only meters from the edge – their misty breathe sparkling in the 24 hour sun. In addition you’ll have a good chance of seeing polar bears, a variety of species of seals, an incredible variety of sea birds including thick billed Murre, Kittiwake, Guillemot, Ivory Gull, along with many other species of gull. Bowhead and Beluga also frequent this area.
A senior Inuit guide will explain the traditional ways of Inuit life over five days as you embark on a journey of discovery of the arctic, the abundant wildlife and its beauty. Hiking on the land, breaking icicles off of glaciers, gazing up at thousands of birds at the nearby bird cliffs, and drinking glacier melt-water on day excursion are just a few of the activities that you can participate in.
For the more adventurous, a snorkeling option is available to attempt to swim with the narwhal if conditions present themselves. These inquisitive whales often curiously approach snorkelers, swimming to within 3 meters underneath, while on their backs – take a quick look – almost saying ‘hello’ and circling below and away. It is a moment of joy and exhileration none shall soon forget.
- Observe the tusked narwhal from pods of 1 to hundreds resting, feeding meters from the floe edge
- Polar Bears, harp seals, bearded seal, ring seals, and possibly bowhead whales
- Journey by snowmobile to traditional Inuit hunting grounds
- Enjoy tea made of melt-water from hundreds of year old ice bergs along the route
- Settle into a Arctic Safari Yurt-style camp on the 2m sea ice at the floe edge.
- Snorkel and kayak amongst ice and possibly with whales
- Visit the Bylot Island bird cliffs with 200,000+ birds
Arctic Wildlife seen on AK trips
Day 0 or earlier – Arrive in Ottawa. Overnight in Ottawa
Day 1 – Depart Ottawa for Pond Inlet.
Day 2-6 – Travel to floe edge, daily sorties at floe edge for Narwhal and Polar bear viewing. Other activities can include kayaking, hiking, bird-cliff visits, glacier hikes, and possibly snorkeling.
Day 7 – Return to Pond Inlet from Floe Edge
Day 8 – Return flight to Ottawa. Overnight in Ottawa