Set outside of one of Canada’s most stunning national parks – Auyuittuq National Park along the rugged and awe-inspiring glacier capped and iceberg studded coastline of south eastern Baffin Island, you will have the opportunity to enjoy long days of the Arctic summer and seemingly ‘all night’ sunsets from the comfort of an Arctic Kingdom safari-style base camp exploring the natural habitat of the polar bears on land, and bowhead whales on the sea.
Spend your days soaking in the views of mirror smooth water, speckled with ice bergs reflecting the mountain peaks around. Pick blueberries, visit Thule ruins and grill the Arctic Char caught from the teaming river next to camp.
Combining stunning scenery of the top-of-the-line safari-inspired tented accommodations complete with showers and beds, delicious meals, and best of all – and the main reason for coming – up close and personal polar bear and bowhead whale opportunities under the professional escort of local Inuit guides, this is a truly exceptional trip to experience the Arctic in all it’s awe inspiring splendor.
There is no better way to experience wildlife of the Arctic to observe them in ‘their’ habitat in a non-intrusive manner. As we are on small craft boats, with a small group, you will feel like the Arctic is your very own. The rest of the world seems a distant echo, as the sights, sounds and animals are your every day stimuli. Arctic Kingdom makes the remote and previously ‘rugged’ Arctic trip – comfortable, accessible and real.
- Experience and observe polar bears at eye-level in their natural habitat as they ring edges of islands searching for seals.
- Search for Bowhead whales spyhopping, finning and slapping their flukes only meters from our boat
- From the utmost of comfortable safari-style camps, enjoy fresh Arctic Char, blueberries and watch all night sunsets
- Hike at the foot of Coronation Fiord where the Penny Ice Cap glaciers ends abruptly in the sea water.
- Visit Canada’s most stunning park – Auyuittuq National Park
- Thule ruins hike and other exciting day trips to truly be immersed in the history, the silence and awe inspiring land you’ll be living in.
|Day 0||-||Arrival in Ottawa from home. Check into Ottawa hotel|
|Day 1||-||Early morning departure for Iqaluit. Transfer planes and continue to Qikiqtarjuaq. Transfer to boat and head to AK Base Camp on island 1 to 1.5 hours travel time.|
|Day 2-6||-||Daily excursions to view polar bears, bowhead whales, and the stunning fiords of Baffin Island. Arctic Char fishing, short hikes, kayaking, Thule site visit, blueberry picking, and snorkeling (in a drysuit) are all activities that can be done over the next week.|
|Day 7||-||Return to Qikiqtarjuaq by boat and transfer to scheduled flight to Iqaluit and onwards to Ottawa with 4:50PM arrival. Check into a hotel of your choice or connect with a flight to your next destination|