Discover the remote and rugged beauty of the Arctic as you explore the awe-inspiring glacier capped and studded coastline of south-eastern Baffin Island. Experience the long days of Arctic summer and seemingly endless sunsets, all from the comfort of an Arctic Kingdom safari-style base camp, located just outside Auyuittuk National Park, one of Canadaâ€™s most stunning national parks.
Spend your days roaming the natural habitat of majestic polar bears by land and intriguing bowhead whales by sea. Admire the views of the mirror smooth water speckled with dazzling icebergs that reflect a striking panoramic view of the surrounding mountain peaks and visit the evocative Thule ruins. Youâ€™ll also delight in picking and sampling wild blueberries and savouring delicious grilled Arctic char, caught fresh from a river near camp.
Set in a backdrop of incredible scenery, our top-of-the line, safari-inspired tented accommodations will be your home away from home. Fully equipped with showers and beds, youâ€™ll have the opportunity to rest easy and enjoy delicious meals that will help fuel you for your daily adventures.
Escorted by a professional, local Inuit guide on small craft boats, you will revel in an opportunity to get up close and personal with polar bears and bowhead whales out in the wild in a non-intrusive way. As the sights and sounds of this spectacular environment stimulate your senses, the rest of the world will seem like a distant echo.
- Observe polar bears in their natural habitat as they ring edges of islands, hunting for seals.
- Search for bowhead whales as they spy-hop, fin and slap their flukes mere metres from our boat.
- Indulge in fresh Arctic char and wild blueberries while admiring all-night sunsets from the comfort of a safari-style tented camp.
- Hike at the foot of Coronation Fiord where the Penny Ice Cap glaciers ends abruptly in the sea water.
- Visit Canada’s most stunning park â€“ Auyuittuq National Park
- Visit the Thule Ruins and enjoy other exciting day trips that will immerse you in the history and silence of this awe-inspiring land.
|Day 0||-||Arrival in Ottawa from home. Check into Ottawa hotel.|
|Day 1||-||Early morning departure for Iqaluit. Transfer planes and continue to Qikiqtarjuaq. Transfer to boat and head to AK Base Camp on island (1 to 1.5 hours travel time).|
|Day 2-6||-||Daily excursions to view polar bears, bowhead whales, and the stunning fiords of Baffin Island. Arctic Char fishing, short hikes, kayaking, Thule site visit, blueberry picking, and snorkelling (in a dry suit) are all activities that can be enjoyed over the next week.|
|Day 7||-||Return to Qikiqtarjuaq by boat and transfer to scheduled flight to Iqaluit and onwards to Ottawa with a 4:50PM arrival. Check into a hotel of your choice or connect with a flight to your next destination.|