Autumn Qamanirjuaq Caribou & Northern Lights Photo Safari Overview
Venture through the land of Qamanirjuaq caribou while admiring the blazing autumn colours of the tundra and shimmering northern lights in the evening sky.Explore from a remote lodge on Ennadai Lake the great land of the Qamanirjuaq caribou, one of the largest herds in North America. Iver 350,000 Qamanirjuaq caribou roam the tundra of western Hudson Bay. In late August to early September, the caribou are spread out over the barren-lands of south-western Nunavut against a striking backdrop. Autumn colours paint the tundra with crimson reds, golden yellows, and shimmering oranges, and caribou with full racks can be spotted within meters of where we stand.
Highlights of the Qamanirjuaq caribou experience
- Witness the majesty of the Qamanirjuaq caribou from young calves to large males with full racks.
- Admire the vibrant colours of autumn that paint the tundra in reds and golds.
- Be dazzled by the shimmering northern lights that dance across the night sky.
- Enjoy boat rides along lakes and rivers against stunning backdrops of the barren-lands.
- Experience the serenity and silence of the tundra.
- Try fishing for trophy fish. Flying in from Yellowknife aboard a private plane, we’ll land at our remote lodge, which sits on a high ridge on a peninsula, overlooking a dazzling lake. This 84km (52 miles) long lake has natural choke points where the caribou can bee seen crossing. We’ll be able to spot mothers with young calves along with males with their full-grown, velvety racks.
Using a fleet of aluminum boats, we’ll enjoy day trips from the lodge along the lake to look for opportunities to photograph the Qamanirjuaq caribou swimming in the water as they cross the lake. At other times, we will beach the boats to take short hikes on the tundra. Other wildlife we may see in the area include muskoxen, grizzly bears, and tundra wolves.
In the evening, experience the awe-inspiring scenes of the northern lights that dance across the night sky. Listen to the silence of the tundra broken by the hooves of caribou and delight in every moment of this unforgettable caribou safari.