Antarctica Information and Contingency Plans
Alternate arrangements should there be weather delays, known as the contingency plan, are included in the cost of the voyage.
Contingency Plan Activation
If the outbound flight to Antarctica is delayed
Guests will remain in Punta Arenas while waiting for improvement in the weather that allows the plane to fly to Antarctica. Included are hotel accommodations in Punta Arenas, meals and guided excursions to local attractions. If by 2 PM local time on Day 4 of the itinerary it is still impossible to reach Antarctica, the trip will be interrupted and the cruise fare will be refunded.
If the inbound flight from Antarctica to Punta Arenas is delayed
Guests will remain in Antarctica and wait for the opportunity to fly to Punta Arenas. Included are meals and shipboard accommodation, and local excursions. Upon arrival in Punta Arenas, 1 night of hotel accommodation and an airport transfer the next morning are included. Travellers are responsible for any expenses associated with the rescheduling of their airline ticket or onward travel plans.
Tips for a trouble-free Antarctic cruise
- Arrive in Punta Arenas before 3 PM on Day 1.
- Day 1 includes a mandatory safety briefing for all travellers.
- For travel to Punta Arenas, purchase a flexible air ticket so you can change your travel plans should weather delay your return to Punta Arenas.
- Travellers must be adequately covered by medical insurance, including aero-medical evacuation from Antarctica.
- The right to change the itinerary in response to local conditions is reserved.
- Baggage allowance: 20 kg (44 pounds) per passenger including hand luggage, for flights between Punta Arenas and Antarctica
- The official expedition language is English